PMP Certification is considered one of the toughest certifications globally. But it is no rocket science or Ph.D. Smart and planned effort (Dos & Don’ts) to crack the exam reduces effort substantially and saves several months’ worth of effort to achieve success. If managed in an efficient way, one can avoid the situation wherein, individuals drop the idea to do PMP saying it’s not their cup of tea.
There have been several approaches defined by various experts who cleared the PMP exam I am one of them. But when looking in detail, what one can find is a couple of pointers are common in all the approaches:
- There are no shortcuts to clearing the PMI-PMP exam
- A good understanding of the knowledge and concepts in Project Management is a must
- Experience is vastly tested in the exam. Therefore, it is difficult for a recent college graduate or a new student to simply grasp the material and pass this exam.
- For those with little to no expertise, PMI-CAPM certification is advised.
- Mock tests to evaluate your readiness really help and give you a reality check
- As earlier said, a calculated and intelligent effort is required to pass the PMP exam.
My suggestion to all PMP aspirants
- The PMP certification process is not standard. You will need to figure out what works best for you.
- Based on that, pick a good institute to assist you in clearing the exam.
- The backbone for the preparation will be study materials and the training program. Make sure both are effective. The feedback online or references certainly help.
- If possible, always opt for the programs that assist you post-training as well, in your application and self-preparation.
PMP Certification is a journey of a few weeks that starts with you thinking to get PMP certified.
Step by step procedure to achieve success in this journey is as follows
1. Visit www.pmi.org to learn more about the PMP. Learn the fundamentals of the subject. Ensure you are eligible for PMP. Here is a link to the PMP Eligibility Calculator.
2. Pick some good facilities and contact them for detailed information. Try out a few reputable institutions to see which one is ideal for you. Although they use their own materials, some organizations that are not ATPs but also offer PMP training programs at low costs and without PMI authorization. BEWARE OF FRAUD AND QUALITY.
3. Sign up for a training program at one of the recognized institutions
4. Attend the 35 hours training program.
5. After graduation, make sure to purchase PMI membership and submit an application to PMI.
6. Do your own research based on the 35 hours of instruction and assistance from the trainer and institute.
7. Pay the exam fees and register for the exam if you feel confident and your exam results confirm it.
8. Take the Mock tests to evaluate your score and see if you are really ready.
9. Identify your gaps, find a solution, and fix those. This will help improve your score in the PMP exam.
10. Pay the exam fees and take the exam date if you feel competent and the exam results support this.
11. Sleep well, the night before the exam. Concentrating for 4 hours without interruption is not so easy without adequate sleep.
13. Take the final exam on the stipulated date and crack it.
Additional information about the PMP Exam
- The project management certification exam has 180 Questions to be answered in 230 minutes
• 2 breaks of 10 minutes each after every 60 Questions are allowed. Exam time does not include break time.
• Exam Questions are of various types including
o Multiple Choice
o Match the following
o True & False
o Fill in the blanks
o Drag n Drop
• No negative marking in the exam. Plan accordingly to leave no questions unanswered.
• You can tag questions for later review. Plan to use this feature during the exam. Specify the time-consuming questions to be worked on after the exam.
• Exam will be testing your knowledge, experience, analytical (problem-solving) skills, and patience. All these are the requirements for a successful project manager.
• Exam can be taken from home with certain restrictions (not recommended) or at Pearson Vue centers in your location. Based on your postal code/ zip code you can locate the nearest center for Project management training on the Pearson Vue site.
• Results will be immediate. After the test, you can pick up your results at the centre. Within 24 hours, you can obtain a soft copy of your PMP License Number and Certificate through your PMI Login. A few weeks from now, PMI will provide the actual certificate.
Your comments and thoughts are most welcome.
To learn more about the PMP Exam Strategy and recommendations, schedule a discussion with one of our Consultants. Also, Read the Success Stories. of our candidates who cracked the PMP exam successfully.