PMI (Project Management Institute) frequently updates its standard to reflect the project management content with the changing times.
The current edition, i.e., 5th edition was also updated since launch in 2015 with 8 relevant tasks to reflect the changing times of project management content.
PMI has announced that the 6th edition will come sooner than later. They had earlier announced in 2016 that we should see the new 6th edition in 2017. Although the date was not announced, it was left to everyone’s speculation and many thought it will come in the 2nd quarter of the calendar year.
The new update on PMI 6th edition with the changes:
Did You Know?
As a result of the release of the PMBOK® Guide – Sixth Edition in September 2017, the PMP exam will change soon. These updates will ensure the exam content is consistent with the PMBOK® Guide.
- Active practitioners from around the world Author exam questions as well as the PMBOK® Guide to ensure the PMP remains relevant and reflects current practice.
What to Expect on the Updated Exam
Although the PMP is not a test of the PMBOK Guide®, it is one of the primary references for the exam along with other popular books which are based on PMBoK. Some of the updates you can expect to see surround lexicon changes and terminology used within the exam as well as harmonization of process groups, tools, and techniques.
You can expect to find the following updates in the PMBOK Guide® – Sixth Edition:
- A new chapter on the role of the project manager has been added to focus on leading projects effectively – competencies, experience and skills that are all necessary.
- Two Knowledge Areas have been renamed to more accurately reflect which elements can be managed… and which cannot:
◦ Time Management is now Schedule Management
◦ Human Resource Management is now Resource Management
Every Knowledge Area features four new sections:
- Key Concepts
- Trends and Emerging Practices
- Tailoring Considerations
- Considerations for Agile/Adaptive Environments
We are very sure, with these changes, there would be other some uncertainties which come with the new things introduced. This will be, in fact, good for the profession.
With the new changes, there would be new books, new material, new content, new exam patterns. ProThoughts will be ready and equipped with all the new things and geared up for the new edition. Our new material is going to be ready by Oct 31st, 2017 to be launched in the market.
But, are you ready for the change? If you want to get PMP certified in tried and tested model, get certified before the new edition sets in. You can always update your knowledge with the new edition. Further, our experience suggests that there would be a rush to do the PMP certifications in the current edition and getting exam slots and dates would be a tad difficult at the end. It would be wiser to do the PMP certification now if it is on your mind.
Our counseling team can help with more details. You can reach at firstname.lastname@example.org or +91 8422907604
All the Best !!