Achieving the PMP credential is a key career milestone. The PMP certification is valid for three years after it is obtained. Certified PMP holders must renew their credentials every three years to remain relevant and recognized in the field you can earn 60 PDUs every three years is required for certification renewal. Read this blog to learn about the PMP certification renewal process and the PMP renewal price.
This material is intended for PMP test candidates who have already passed the exam. If you are not yet a PMP, you do not need to obtain PDUs.
If you’re still on your way to becoming a PMP, check out our step-by-step approach to earning your PMP Certification in seven simple steps.
Why Should You Renew Your PMP Certificate?
The PMP Certification has 3 years of Validity, after which it is suspended for one year and becomes invalid. While maintaining your PMP Certification is a PMI requirement, it also helps you to stay relevant in this ever-changing business world. Additionally, candidates do not have to repeat the PMP exam, which is unusual. Instead, PMI requires members to improve their sector expertise, providing an excellent opportunity to stay current with best industry practices through professional development programs.
PMP is a worldwide recognized credential that is regarded as the pinnacle of project management achievement. As a result, for the PMP Certification renewal procedure to be successful, constant progress is required.
PMP Renewal in Seven Easy Steps
Step 1: The PMP Certification is valid for three years after you have passed the PMP exam and received your certification
- If you do not renew your certification within three years, we will change your certification status to suspended. If your status is suspended, you will be unable to refer to yourself as a certified PMP or display the designation acronym following your professional name and title for up to a year. Within this time frame, you can (should) obtain the requisite PDUs to renew your certification. In any case.
- If you allow the one-year suspension period to expire, we will change your status to expired. Moreover, this is as close as any qualified PMP practitioner can get to the apocalypse. Even a thousand PDUs won’t be enough when this happens. Also, you have to submit a new certification application, study the PMBOK Guide, pay the high application fees, and retake the demanding PMP Certification Exam. If you find yourself in this circumstance, it’s time to blame yourself for not building and tracking PDUs for four years (three as an active PMP and one as a suspended PMP). Exceptions.
Step 2: Find out where your PMP Certification and PDUs stand
You must use the Continuing Certification Requirements System to maintain current PMP certification and PDUs (CCRS). The following CCRS is a web-based program with a user-friendly dashboard that allows you to keep track such as the following:
- The number of days left until your PMP expires.
- How do your PDUs fit into the CCR guidelines?
- The amount of PDUs you’ll need to keep your certification current.
- A list of all of your PDU claims.
Step 3: You will need 60 PDUs to renew your PMP Certification
To meet the specified Continuing Certification Requirements, PMI requires all PMP certification holders to obtain 60 Professional Development Units (PDUs) (CCR). The following is a breakdown of the 60 PDUs:
- Minimum of 35 PDUs in education; maximum of 25 PDUs in giving back
- You must earn PDUs for Education. PMI recommends obtaining a minimum of 35 education PDUs through learning activities such as seminars, webinars, and other similar events. While obtaining these 35 PDUs, it is recommended that you have a blend of leadership, technical, and strategic & business management skills. These three skill areas make up the PMI Talent Triangle. While you must acquire a minimum of 35 educational PDUs per CCR cycle, you can choose to earn 60 PDUs in this category.
- Giving back PDUs: This is an optional step. According to the CCR cycle, you are allowed only 25 giving-back PDUs. You can obtain these through volunteering, teaching, and engaging in similar activities. PMI appreciates your efforts in sharing your PMP knowledge and actively utilizing your skills, thus giving back PDUs is acceptable.
You can submit your renewal application once you’ve earned 60 PDUs. You can complete the application online or download it, fill it out, and then re-upload it. Your contact information, member ID, and payment information will be required.
Step 5: Pay the PMP Renewal Fee
Are you a PMI Member? If so, you’ll only have to pay $60 to renew your PMP and keep your badge. If you are not a PMI member, the renewal fee for PMP is $150.
Step 6: Wait for PMI confirmation
After approving your application and processing your renewal cost, PMI will send you the confirmation. The following information will be included in this confirmation:
- A PMI email confirming that everything was processed and approved.
- Crudely’s upgraded digital PMP badge for online access and leverage
- Details on your new PMP CCR cycle renewal dates.
This renewal certifies that you are still in good standing with PMI and can use the PMP title after your name and network as a PMP credential holder.
Step 7: Rejoice and do it again. Make sure you get a head start on building PDUs for the following cycle
It’s important to note that the next PMP renewal procedure will not consider similar learning modules, reading materials, and activities claimed in a previous cycle as acceptable PDUs. As a result, ensure sure your REP/online learning provider has a diverse range of courses and business topics.
A PMP Certification can serve as a stepping stone, a competitive advantage, or a source of pride, among other things.
As a result, as soon as you get a PMP certification, you should make it a point to renew it. Preparing to build PDUs at the last minute, like cramming for college exams, can deplete your soul. The key is to approach the renewal process with a positive mindset, viewing it as an opportunity to develop your technical abilities, business acumen, and personal character. Furthermore, the method is flexible enough that you have a lot of freedom in how you stack PDUs.
We hope you found this PMP Certification renewal advice from Project Management Academy useful. ProThoughts provides a variety of ways to obtain some of your PDUs. Start learning today!